Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Is Enterprise Architect a good drawing tool for Archimate 2

The first time I was trying to model a system in Archimate using Enterprise Architect, I experienced some difficulties in expressing the system using the language.
Today I decided to try to draw the model from Archimate's website (shown in my previous example) using Enterprise Architect.
Though the example on Archimate's website is actually too simple to reflect any real-world problems, still Enterprise Architect feels a bit difficult to use.
The problem was after modelling each layer, to create an overall view I almost had to do everything again. The Diagram Frame feature was distorting the elements and was not showing links such as realizations between layers.
So to actually reproduce that diagram I had to link to every element in a new diagram. That was where I stopped because I expected to be able to aggregate layers into one diagram and link them.

Though in real life this problem does not show up that often because having a single diagram will all layers detailed is sometimes getting too crowded to be useful. But the general feeling you get using Enterprise Architect is a diagram drawing software that different standards have been defined in it without tailoring the software enough to make drawing the diagrams easy for these new standards.

Here is the Archimate Example


and this is what I came up with without having to spend an extra hour working around the issues in the Enterprise Architect

The links between layers are missing and the Technology Layer layout is totally broken. The main Technology layer is fine, but the Frame is distorting the layout. 

I like to see how other tools behave trying to draw this



No comments:

Post a Comment

Homepage
Homepage